NYC Street Names



Battery Place

Named for a group of cannon, or battery placed at that location to defend the lower tip of Manhattan, the bay and the entrance to the Hudson River. In 1811 the American military concerned with a British invasion built a defensive fort known a s the west Battery. In 1815 this fort was renamed Fort Clinton in honor of Mayor DeWitt Clinton. Since then has been aquarium and an immigration station.

Bowery

Named after Dutch Governor Peter Stuyvesant’s small farm, bouwerij. By the end of the 18th century these small farmsturned into one of NY’s fashionable streets lined with elegant mansions and high end shops. By the time of the Civil War the area degenerated into flophouses, whore houses and bars. Currently the location of one of the worlds largest restaurant supply districts, the last few decades have seen the arrival of artists, musicians, trendy clubs and bars.

Frederick Douglas Circle

After Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey, a runaway slave who became a distinguished journalist, orator and author under the name the name he assumed to escape detection. After the Civil war he was appointed American minister to Haiti.

Lafayette Street

Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette. A hero of the American Revolution and a leader in the French Revolution.

La Guardia Place

Firello La Guardia, one of New York’s most colorful and best loved mayors. The son of an Italian immigrant father and a Jewish mother, he was an interpreter at Ellis Island speaking 6 languages, a lawyer, a Congressman, a World War 1 decorated pilot and a three term mayor. He is well remembered for reading the the Sunday comic strips over the radio, during a newspaper strike and for riding fire trucks to raging fires.

Pearl Street

Named after the mother of pearl from the oyster shells that virtually paved the street when it was the shore of the East river. It was here that the first city hall, that did double duty as a tavern was built by Dutch Governor William Kieft.

Perry Street

Named after Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, commander of the American Fleet in the battle of Lake Erie in the War of 1812. Perry who had fought the Barbary pirates as well as the British died of yellow fever in Trinidad when he was 34.

Spring Street

After spring that originated at West Broadway and served as a source of fresh water for early settlers and Indians. At certain times the stream engorges and floods many basements in the area. The ghost of a young girl Juliana Elmore Sands, who was found dead on New Years day 1800, a victim of foul play is said to haunt many several buildings in the area.

Wall Street

In 1663 the Dutch built a stockade wall to defend their early colony located at the tip of Manhattan. The enemy: Indian, bears and the English. Effective against the Indians and bears, the English cam by sea in 1664.

York Avenue

Named after Sergeant Alvin C York, a one time conscientious objector and reluctant warrior who became the nations greatest hero of WW1. a farmer, hunter and modern frontiersman he emerged from service with a Medal Of Honor and 50 other military decorations After the war York returned to the Tennessee hills refusing lecture tours and acting roles on the ground that”...this uniform ain’t for sale”.

Event Calendar